The UNESCO Prize for Girls’ and Women’s Education recognizes exceptional and inventive contributions made by individuals, institutions, and organizations in promoting and advancing girls’ and women’s education. It is the first award of its kind by UNESCO and stands out for highlighting successful initiatives that enhance and encourage girls’ and women’s education, leading to improved quality of life.
Application Deadline: 19th May 2023 (midnight, Paris time).
Eligible Countries: UNESCO Member Countries
Number of Awardees: 2
Eligibility: In addition to these three criteria, the project/programme should:
- have already been running for at least two years
- show evidence that it may be replicable, scalable and/or provide significant learning potential for initiatives in other contexts
- contribute to one or more of the five priority action areas of the Prize:
- 1. supporting girls/adolescent girls to transition from primary education to lower secondary education and to complete full basic education;
- 2. supporting adolescent girls and young women to acquire literacy skills;
- 3. supporting the creation of a gender-responsive and safe teaching-learning environment, free of school-related gender-based violence;
- 4. engaging female and male teachers to develop gender-responsive teaching attitudes and practices and be change agents; or
- 5. supporting adolescent girls and young women to acquire knowledge and skills for them to adequately transition from school to work and lead a fulfilling life.
To apply for the UNESCO Prize for Girls’ and Women’s Education, nominations must be submitted in English or French using the online platform, which is exclusively accessible to UNESCO Member States and NGOs that have official partnerships with UNESCO. The project’s potential for impact, innovation, and sustainability will be evaluated by an independent international jury consisting of five experts.
The Permanent Delegation to UNESCO of the relevant Member State or an NGO in official partnership with UNESCO must complete the nomination online through their official account, as indicated in the links below.