The Student Researcher Program’s primary objective is to foster academic collaborations with students through research at Google. Join us for a paid Student Researcher position that offers the opportunity to work directly with Google research scientists and engineers on research projects.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD degree in Computer Science, Linguistics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Natural Sciences, or related technical field.
- Experience in one area of computer science (e.g., Natural Language Understanding, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Quantum Information Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, or similar areas).
- Currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after completion of the internship.
- Currently attending a degree program in the US.
- Experience as a researcher, including internships, full-time, or at a lab.
- Experience contributing to research communities or efforts, including publishing papers in major conferences or journals.
- Ability to communicate in English fluently.
The Student Researcher Program offers more opportunities for research students to work on critical research projects at Google in a less structured way. The program allows opportunities beyond the limitations of our traditional internship program on aspects such as duration, time commitment, and working location (with options for on-site or remote). The topics student researchers work on tend to be open-ended and exploratory, and don’t always have a clear deliverable like a traditional internship would.
Google Research is building the next generation of intelligent systems for all Google products. To achieve this, we’re working on projects that utilize the latest computer science techniques developed by skilled software engineers and research scientists. Google Research teams collaborate closely with other teams across Google, maintaining the flexibility and versatility required to adapt new projects and foci that meet the demands of the world’s fast-paced business needs.
- Participate in research to develop solutions for real-world, large-scale problems.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and it’s in the talent’s best interest to apply early. The anticipated application window is open until June 7th, 2024, but may close earlier if all available projects are full. Applications submitted after the application window or once the role is closed/projects are full will not be considered.
Participation in this program requires that you are located in the United States for the duration of the engagement.
This opportunity is intended for students who are pursuing a PhD degree program in Computer Science or a related field. Our Student Researcher opportunities are flexible in time commitment, length of opportunity, and onsite/remote nature, depending on the specific project and host needs. Start dates for this role are typically January through August.
This program is best suited for students who will not be seeking full time employment following this role, as this program is non-conversion eligible. If you are graduating in the near future, we encourage you to apply to the Research Internship opening – g.co/jobs/PhDresearchinternNA.
To start the application process, you will need an updated CV or resume and a current unofficial or official transcript in English (PDFs preferred).
Please ensure your anticipated graduation dates (in MM/YY) and any proficiency in coding languages are listed on resume.
This role may also be located in our Playa Vista, CA campus.
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Goleta, CA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; Ann Arbor, MI, USA; Austin, TX, USA; Cambridge, MA, USA; Chapel Hill, NC, USA; Chicago, IL, USA; Irvine, CA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Madison, WI, USA; New York, NY, USA; Palo Alto, CA, USA; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA; Washington D.C., DC, USA.